This well-rounded market is one of the largest buyers of canola seed, oil and meal. Ongoing market development has created steady demand and high value for canola products.
- Population: 322.6 million
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2014): 14.9 million tonnes
Imports of Canadian canola (2015)
- Seed: 479 thousand tonnes valued at $270.3 million
- Oil: 1.6 million tonnes valued at $1.8 billion
- Meal: 3.6 million tonnes valued at $1.3 billion
- Total value of exports to the US: $3.3 billion
- Canola is the number two edible oil in the country.
- Seed imports peaked in 2008.
- Oil imports reach over 1 million tonnes annually, reaching a new record of nearly 1.6 million tonnes in 2015.
- Meal imports dipped in 2009 and 2010 due to regulatory issues, but have grown significantly since.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$4.8 billion of economic activity in the U.S. per year
- 16,291 U.S. jobs