This well-rounded market is one of the largest buyers of canola seed, oil and meal. Ongoing market development has created steady demand and high value for canola products.
- Population: 321.8 million
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2016): 14.8 million tonnes
Imports of Canadian canola (2016)
- Seed: 505 thousand tonnes valued at $273.8 million
- Oil: 1.9 million tonnes valued at $2.1 billion
- Meal: 3.6 million tonnes valued at $1.2 billion
- Total value of exports to the US: $3.6 billion
- Canola is the number two edible oil in the country.
- Seed imports peaked in 2008.
- Oil imports exceed 1.0 million tonnes annually, reaching a new record of nearly 1.9 million tonnes in 2016.
- Meal imports dipped in 2009 and 2010 due to regulatory issues, but have grown significantly since.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$6.4 billion of economic activity in the U.S. per year
- 15,600 U.S. jobs