Mexico is a consistent buyer of Canadian canola seed. These imports bring value to the Mexican economy by supporting a domestic crushing and refining industry.
- Population: 123.8 million
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2014): 2.5 million tonnes
Imports of Canadian canola (2015)
- Seed: 1.3 million tonnes valued at $746.6 million
- Oil: 63 thousand tonnes valued at $72.3 million
- Meal:16 thousand tonnes valued at $5.3 million
- Total value of exports to Mexico: $824.2 million
- Canola is Canada's top agri-food export to Mexico.
- Seed imports have seen conservative growth since 2005.
- Canola oil and meal consumption have both risen over the past 5 years.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$1.7 billion of economic activity per year
- 8,300 jobs in Mexico