Mexico is a consistent buyer of Canadian canola seed. These imports bring value to the Mexican economy by supporting a domestic crushing and refining industry.
- Population: 127.0 million
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2016): 2.7 million tonnes
Imports of Canadian canola (2016)
- Seed: 1.5 million tonnes valued at $760.9 million
- Oil: 49 thousand tonnes valued at $56.5 million
- Meal: 27 thousand tonnes valued at $8.8 million
- Total value of exports to Mexico: $826.2 million
- Canola is Canada's top agri-food export to Mexico.
- Seed imports have seen conservative growth since 2005.
- Canola oil and meal consumption have both risen over the past 5 years.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$1.7 billion of economic activity per year
- 8,300 jobs in Mexico