India is a relatively new market for canola oil. As the country's growing middle class seeks healthier foods, oil imports could see significant growth.
- Population: 1.27 billion
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, diabetes
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2014): 17.9 million tonnes
- #2 vegetable oil consumer in the world
Imports of Canadian canola (2015)
- Oil: 7 thousand tonnes valued at $6.9 million
- Total value of exports to India: $6.9 million
- Oil imports have been increasing at conservative rates in recent years and significantly increased in 2012.