The European Union is the world leader in biodiesel consumption and canola is a feedstock of choice. Large amounts of Canadian canola oil are now being imported into the EU, helping to fuel a new global industry.
Imports of Canadian canola (2016)
- Seed: 597 thousand tonnes valued at $324.6 million
- Oil: 37 thousand tonnes valued at $20 million
- Total value of exports: $349 million
- Seed and oil exports primarily go to France, Germany, Italy, Belgium and Portugal for use in biodiesel production.
- Ireland is the largest EU market for canola meal.