China is one of our most important customers. We are actively seeking to improve the predictability of this promising and diverse market.
- Population: 1.39 billion
- Total vegetable oil consumption (2014): 31.1 million tonnes
- #1 vegetable oil consumer in the world
Imports of Canadian canola (2015)
- Seed: 3.8 million tonnes valued at $2.0 billion
- Oil: 609 thousand tonnes valued at $555.9 million
- Meal: No canola meal was exported to China in 2015
- Total value of exports to China: $2.6 billion
- Seed imports have varied widely from year to year.
- Oil imports have been increased in recent years.
- Meal imports were restricted in 2013 when China implemented new registration requirements for Canadian processors exporting meal.
Economic benefits of importing Canadian canola
- US$3.6 billion of economic activity per year
- 16,150 jobs in China