Canola in Canada is big business. From what we produce, 90% is destined for export markets. Furthermore, half of all vegetable oil consumed in Canada is canola oil.
- Population: 35.9 million
- Primary health concerns: Cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes
- Total vegetable oil: 1.85 million tonnes
- Canola oil: 986,000 tonnes
- Canola meal: 562,000 tonnes
- Canola oil is the #1 edible oil for Canadian consumers.
- Oil consumption has steadily increased over the past five years.
Economic benefits of canola
- $26.7 billion of economic activity in Canada per year
- 250,000 Canadian jobs